Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Details, Details

Several more days go by before the next phone call from mom.


Mom: "Debbie? I got something in the mail from you but it wasn't an airline ticket"


Me: "That's right, mom. It's your flight itinerary. Airlines now use electronic ticketing because it is much safer. Everything is in the computer and passengers don't have to worry about losing their tickets. You just give the agent your ID when you get to the airport and she'll pull up all your information. She'll also check you in all the way to Dresden, including your bags."


Mom: "OK, but I'd like a ticket."


Me: "Mom, really....no need to worry. All you have to do is get to Chicago and then we'll be together. This will be so much fun! Hey, where do you like to sit?" (Notice how I'm trying to keep it light???)


Mom: "I don't know. I'll decide when I get to the airport."


Me: "No, mom, we should really pick our seats now. Otherwise we might not sit together. I like to sit on an aisle. Do you want the aisle across from me?"


Mom: "No, I want to be next to you."


Me: "Well, the plane configuarion is 2-5-2, and it doesn't look like there are any seats together on the sides. Our options are aisle and aisle or aisle and middle."


Mom: "I don't want a stranger sitting next to me. I'll hate that!"


Me: "Let's just take two aisles, OK? It will be fine."


Mom: "But I like to look out the window."


Me: "It will be night, there is nothing to see."


Mom: "This is silly. Just return the tickets you got and I'm going to get us two first-class seats using my Capital One points."


Me: "Mom....you don't have enough points."


Mom: "Then I'll just buy tickets."


Me: "Business class tickets are $5,600 each. First-class is probably double that. Coach is fine."


Mom: "You don't have the right information, I'm sure. I'm going to call someone and find out how much tickets are. It is probably only a few hundred dollars more."


Me: "Our tickets aren't refundable, mom. This will be great! I'm getting us seats. Talk to you soon. Love you!!"


Mom: "Love you, too. Aren't you getting excited?!"


I hang up and ponder her question. If symptoms of getting excited are heart palpitations and killer headaches, then yes, I am getting VERY excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment