Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Packing for the Trip

Hadn't heard much from mom lately and then I got a phone call to discuss packing. Mom wants to know how many suitcases - yes, that's PLURAL - I am planning to take. As I have mentioned in an earlier blog entry, mom doesn't fly for a number of reasons, including not wanting to be tied down to such bothersome things as departure schedules. But another huge reason is that she likes to be prepared for all - and I mean EVERY SINGLE - situation. This means that instead of deciding what she really will need for a trip, she just packs everything she owns. When she goes to Florida, this includes four tennis racquets - one for her and three for anyone who might visit. You probably think that's a thoughtful thing for her to do until I tell you that she hasn't played tennis in at least five years! OK, so it never hurts to be prepared, but realize that she also brings several (and I mean four or five) different tennis outfits, plus shoes, balls and I can't even imagine what else. Also packed in the car are her golf clubs and all of the "stuff" that she needs for golfing (including different outfits.) I'm not sure it was even this decade the last time she golfed.





So back to packing for our trip to Europe. I tell her that she should only take ONE suitcase, plus a small carry-on. She replies that she will try to fit everything into one suitcase, but she just isn't sure she can do it. I am already imagining myself schlepping steamer trunks through Europe.....



I think it is probably a good time to tell her about baggage weight restrictions for the Dresden to Vienna portion of our journey, even though I have already purchased extra weight allowance for her. Here is how that conversation goes:



Me: Mom, you can only check through 20kg, which is 44 pounds of luggage on the flight from Dresden to Vienna.



Mom: Why would the airline care how much my suitcase weighs?



Me: Because the lighter the load, the less fuel they use.



Mom: I'm sure you're wrong. Anyway, how am I supposed to know how much my suitcase weighs?!



Me: You'll need to put it on a scale after you pack it



Mom: What if I can't lift it?



Me: Then it is too heavy!



Mom: Well, I'll try, but I'm sure you're wrong.



Me: And mom? Any liquids over 3 oz need to be put in your checked luggage.



Mom: How much is 3 ounces?



Me: Do you remember all the empty plastic bottles I sent you last month? Those are each 3 ounces.



Mom: Well what am I supposed to do with them??



Me: You don't want to take big bottles of anything, so just put some shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc in the bottles. Then you can either take them in your carry-on bag or check them through. Oh, and one more thing. If you carry them on board, all of your liquids have to fit in one quart-sized ziplock bag.



Mom: How big is that? I don't think I have any that size! Besides, they can't expect me to fit everything I need in one bag!



Me (breathe....breathe...): Mom, I am NOT making this up. There are serious restrictions on what you can take on the plane with you. They will make you throw out what doesn't comply with the rules. (I am already imagining the scene at security.)



Mom: I don't think you have the right information. I'll call someone. They probably let you take whatever you want in first class. Can we get first-class tickets?

Me: No we can't switch, mom. We're in economy plus; it will be great! So do you understand what you are allowed to take on board?

Mom: Well, what am I supposed to take if I can't things like shampoo and Aquanet? (I swear I am not making this part up.) What do you take in the bag you carry on the plane?

Me: I take my iPod, a book, magazines, a neck pillow....stuff like that.

Mom: Well, I can't read on a plane! I get motion sickness. And don't they give you a pillow?

Me: Yes, but I like my own. Mom, I'm going to read a little and then take a sleeping pill and go to sleep. You really will need to sleep on the plane or you'll get to Germany and be exhausted. Besides, what else are you going to do?

Mom: I'll look out the window (I SWEAR I couldn't make this up if I tried) Maybe I'll sleep a little, but it will be hard because we'll be sitting up. We should have flown first class.....

Me: OK I've got to go! We'll talk again soon. Love you!!

Mom: Love you too and I'm getting SO excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment