Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Time (finally) to Purchase the Tickets

Several days go by and I hear nothing from mom, and then she calls to inform me that nobody knows what they are talking about and that she can't get a straight answer from anyone. When I ask who she has called, she responds (and I am not making this up) "I called Capital One customer service and all they could tell me is how many points I have, which I think was wrong anyway. The woman must have been new because she didn't even know about flying from Cleveland to Dresden. Then I called AAA because that is where I always get my triptiks when I drive anywhere out of town. The woman had no idea how I could use my Capital One points or about flights to Dresden. All the experienced people must be out on vacation because no one could give me any information!"

So to recap...my mother first called CUSTOMER SERVICE at Capital One, and then she called AAA. Finally, convinced that everyone with half a brain was out on vacation, she called me back.


Now we are back to where we started, and I (again) suggest to mom that I make the flight arrangements. With a resigned sigh, she agrees. I say, "OK, mom - these are non-refundable, non-changeable tickets. Are we sure about dates, etc?" She says yes, she is absolutely sure, and she instructs me to put the flights on her Capital One credit card. Now we're getting somewhere.....

Or so I thought.

The VERY NEXT day mom calls me:

Mom (cheerfully): "Debbie? I just got an offer for a Chase credit card in the mail. It says that if I open an account and book a flight on Southwest Airlines, my companion flies for free. So I was thinking that is a good deal and we should book our flights to Europe that way!"

Me: "Mom?! I already booked the flights yesterday, remember? I told you they are non-refundable, remember? Plus, Southwest doesn't fly to Europe."

Mom: "Are you sure? I'll bet they do. And I can call someone and get a refund on our tickets."

Me: "There is no one you can call mom. This is how we are getting to Dresden. I emailed you your itinerary yesterday; did you get it?"

Mom: "All I got in the mail was a bill from Bloomies and the Chase credit card offer. Maybe it will come today."

Me: "OK, well it should be there in a few days. Call me when it comes."

I pour a drink and take a walk to the mailbox, wondering how much alchohol consumption is too much.....

No comments:

Post a Comment