Monday, August 3, 2009

How It All Began

Mothers and daughters often have what we politely call "complicated" relationships. I know firsthand; I am a daughter and I am a mother to two girls, ages 21 and 24. I could write volumes about raising two daughters, which I know so many women can relate to. Instead, I am going to write about a trip that my mother is "treating" me to in September. I am writing this for several reasons:



1. Because there are just too many hilarious stories

2. Because anyone my age (50ish) with an elderly mother (80ish) will relate

3. Because even if I survive the planning and the trip, I will never remember the details

4. Because blogging is cheaper than therapy



It all began on April 5, 1957, but I won't bore you with all the stories (except you might enjoy the one where my mother cancelled the order on my size 2 wedding dress because she found a great sample dress - size 10 - for $19.99. It was nothing like the one I ordered, and it had to be completely remade (a wedding gift from my mother's dressmaker) but I was 22 and I got married in it.) I digress......



Fast forward to April 3, 2009. My mother receives a letter from the city of Dresden, Germany inviting her and a guest (remember this part because it's where I come in) to the city from which she fled with her family in 1933. They want to show her how her homeland has been rebuilt after the war. My mother calls me excitedly because she loves getting anything for FREE. (She recently called with the news that she had "won" $100,000 and that all she had to do to collect was send a check for $100 to some PO Box....) My husband, ever the "realist" (aka pessimist) is certain the letter is a hoax. We do some investigating, find out the letter is authentic and urge my mother to go.



Several weeks later she tells me that her friend will be joining her on the trip. They are going to make plans soon. Then in early June I get a call from my mother, asking me to accompany her to Germany. She will make all the plans and it will be so much fun. OK so I am not her first choice, but how can I say no? We'll go, we'll come back, it will be memorable. Not so fast.......

2 comments:

  1. I am so honored to be your first follower Debbie! Great idea to do a blog, I can't wait to hear the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming to your house and removing all the knives and sharp objects. I promise I'll return them after your trip is over.

    ReplyDelete